Naskapi and the Cree-Naskapi Commission Act
90 (1) A band shall, by resolution, prior to the beginning of each fiscal year, adopt a budget for that fiscal year, and may, if it deems necessary in the course of the fiscal year, adopt supplementary budgets for that fiscal year.
Marginal note:Explanation and distribution
(2) Forthwith after adopting a budget or supplementary budget, a band shall
(a) explain the budget or supplementary budget to the members of the band at an ordinary band meeting;
(b) make a copy thereof available at the head office of the band, for inspection by members of the band at reasonable hours; and
(c) send a copy thereof to the Minister.
Marginal note:Where delay in adopting budget
(3) Where a band fails to adopt a budget for a fiscal year prior to the beginning of that fiscal year, the budget and any supplementary budgets of the previous fiscal year apply until a new budget is adopted.
(4) A band may make by-laws respecting the preparation and implementation of budgets.
Marginal note:Authorization to spend moneys
(5) A band may not expend moneys or commit itself, by contract or otherwise, to expend moneys, unless
(a) such expenditure is authorized by or under a by-law or resolution; and
(b) a certificate is issued by the band treasurer stating that moneys are available for such expenditure.
Marginal note:Position of other party
(6) Non-compliance by a band with subsection (5) does not affect the validity or enforceability, with respect to the other party, of a band’s commitment to expend moneys, if the other party took reasonable steps to satisfy itself that the band had complied with subsection (5).
Marginal note:Where inconsistency with budget
(7) Where a by-law or resolution referred to in subsection (5) is inconsistent with the band’s budget or a supplementary budget, the by-law or resolution shall so state, but a non-compliance with this subsection does not affect the validity of the by-law or resolution.
- Date modified: