Naskapi and the Cree-Naskapi Commission Act
90 (1) The band shall, by resolution, prior to the beginning of each fiscal year, adopt a budget for that fiscal year, and may, if it deems necessary in the course of the fiscal year, adopt supplementary budgets for that fiscal year.
Marginal note:Explanation and distribution
(2) Forthwith after adopting a budget or supplementary budget, the band shall
(a) explain the budget or supplementary budget to the members of the band at an ordinary band meeting;
(b) make a copy thereof available at the head office of the band, for inspection by members of the band at reasonable hours; and
(c) send a copy of it to the Minister.
Marginal note:Where delay in adopting budget
(3) Where the band fails to adopt a budget for a fiscal year prior to the beginning of that fiscal year, the budget and any supplementary budgets of the previous fiscal year apply until a new budget is adopted.
(4) The band may make by-laws respecting the preparation and implementation of budgets.
Marginal note:Authorization to spend moneys
(5) The band may not expend moneys or commit itself, by contract or otherwise, to expend moneys, unless
(a) such expenditure is authorized by or under a by-law or resolution; and
(b) a certificate is issued by the band treasurer stating that moneys are available for such expenditure.
Marginal note:Position of other party
(6) Non-compliance by the band with subsection (5) does not affect the validity or enforceability, with respect to the other party, of the band’s commitment to expend moneys, if the other party took reasonable steps to satisfy itself that the band had complied with subsection (5).
Marginal note:Where inconsistency with budget
(7) Where a by-law or resolution referred to in subsection (5) is inconsistent with the band’s budget or a supplementary budget, the by-law or resolution shall so state, but a non-compliance with this subsection does not affect the validity of the by-law or resolution.
- 1984, c. 18, s. 90
- 2009, c. 12, s. 10
- 2018, c. 4, ss. 46, 122(E)
- Date modified: