Canada–Newfoundland and Labrador Atlantic Accord Implementation Act
Marginal note:Spills prohibited
161 (1) No person shall cause or permit a spill on or from any portion of the offshore area.
Marginal note:Duty to report spills
(2) Where a spill occurs in any portion of the offshore area, any person who at the time of the spill is carrying on any work or activity related to the exploration for or development or production of petroleum in the area of the spill shall, in the manner prescribed by the regulations, report the spill to the Chief Conservation Officer.
Marginal note:Duty to take reasonable measures
(3) Every person required to report a spill under subsection (2) shall, as soon as possible, take all reasonable measures consistent with safety and the protection of the environment to prevent any further spill, to repair or remedy any condition resulting from the spill and to reduce or mitigate any danger to life, health, property or the environment that results or may reasonably be expected to result from the spill.
Marginal note:Taking emergency action
(4) Where the Chief Conservation Officer is satisfied on reasonable grounds that
(a) a spill has occurred in any portion of the offshore area and immediate action is necessary in order to effect any reasonable measures referred to in subsection (3), and
(b) such action is not being taken or will not be taken under subsection (3),
the Chief Conservation Officer may take such action or direct that it be taken by such persons as may be necessary.
Marginal note:Taking over management
(5) For the purposes of subsection (4), the Chief Conservation Officer may authorize and direct such persons as may be necessary to enter the place where the spill has occurred and take over the management and control of any work or activity being carried on in the area of the spill.
Marginal note:Managing work or activity
(6) A person authorized and directed to take over the management and control of any work or activity under subsection (5) shall manage and control that work or activity and take all reasonable measures in relation to the spill that are referred to in subsection (3).
(7) Any costs incurred under subsection (6) shall be borne by the person who obtained an authorization under paragraph 138(1)(b) in respect of the work or activity from which the spill emanated and, until paid, constitute a debt recoverable by action in any court of competent jurisdiction as a debt due to the Board.
Marginal note:Recovery of costs
(7.1) Where a person, other than a person referred to in subsection (7), takes action pursuant to subsection (3) or (4), the person may recover from Her Majesty in right of Canada the costs and expenses reasonably incurred by that person in taking the action.
(8) Section 157 applies, with such modifications as the circumstances require, to any action or measure taken or authorized or directed to be taken under subsections (4) to (6) as if it were taken or authorized or directed to be taken by order under subsection 155(1) and as if such order were not subject to an investigation.
Marginal note:Personal liability
(9) No person required, directed or authorized to act under this section is personally liable either civilly or criminally in respect of any act or omission in the course of complying with this section unless it is shown that that person did not act reasonably in the circumstances.
- 1987, c. 3, s. 161
- 1992, c. 35, s. 74
- Date modified: