Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Resources Accord Implementation Act
141 (1) No person shall, on or before January 1, 2000, in that portion of the offshore area described in Schedule IV, explore or drill for or produce, conserve or process petroleum or transport petroleum produced in that portion of the offshore area.
Marginal note:Public review by panel
(2) A public review of the environmental and socio-economic impact of exploration and drilling activities in that portion of the offshore area described in Schedule IV shall be conducted by a panel that is to be established for that purpose, in accordance with this section, on or before January 1, 1996.
(3) The panel referred to in subsection (2) shall consist of not more than five members.
Marginal note:Appointment of members and chairman
(4) Two members of the panel referred to in subsection (2) may be appointed by the Federal Minister and two by the Provincial Minister, and the chairman of the panel is to be appointed by both the Federal Minister and the Provincial Minister.
Marginal note:Appointment of chairman where Ministers fail to agree
(5) Where the two Ministers fail to agree on the appointment of the chairman of the panel referred to in subsection (2) within sixty days after the first appointment of a member of the panel, the chairman shall be selected by an arbitration panel, constituted in accordance with section 47, within thirty days after the appointment of the chairman of the arbitration panel, unless at any time prior thereto the two Ministers agree on the appointment.
Marginal note:Panel to prepare report
(6) A report containing the results of the public review conducted pursuant to subsection (2), including any recommendations of the panel made in respect of those results, shall be prepared by the panel referred to in that subsection and submitted to the Federal Minister and the Provincial Minister on or before July 1, 1999.
Marginal note:Prohibition for further period
(7) On or before January 1, 2000, the Federal Minister and Provincial Minister may, after consideration of the report submitted to them pursuant to subsection (6), jointly issue a written notice prohibiting, for such further period as is specified in the notice, in all or any part of that portion of the offshore area described in Schedule IV, the exploration or drilling for and the production, conservation and processing of petroleum and the transportation of petroleum produced in that portion of the offshore area.
Marginal note:Publication of notice
(8) The Federal Minister shall cause a copy of any notice issued pursuant to subsection (7) to be published in the Canada Gazette forthwith after the notice has been issued.
- Date modified: