Excise Tax Act
Marginal note:Imposition of goods and services tax
165 (1) Subject to this Part, every recipient of a taxable supply made in Canada shall pay to Her Majesty in right of Canada tax in respect of the supply calculated at the rate of 5% on the value of the consideration for the supply.
Marginal note:Tax in participating province
(2) Subject to this Part, every recipient of a taxable supply made in a participating province shall pay to Her Majesty in right of Canada, in addition to the tax imposed by subsection (1), tax in respect of the supply calculated at the tax rate for that province on the value of the consideration for the supply.
Marginal note:Zero-rated supply
(3) The tax rate in respect of a taxable supply that is a zero-rated supply is 0%.
Marginal note:Application in offshore areas
(4) Subsection (2) does not apply to a supply of property or a service made in the Nova Scotia offshore area or the Newfoundland offshore area unless the supplier makes the supply in the course of an offshore activity or the recipient of the supply acquires the property or service for consumption, use or supply in the course of an offshore activity.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 1990, c. 45, s. 12
- 1993, c. 27, s. 31
- 1997, c. 10, ss. 17, 160
- 2006, c. 4, s. 3
- 2007, c. 18, s. 7, c. 35, s. 184
- Date modified: