Excise Tax Act
267.1 (1) The definitions in this subsection apply in this section and in sections 268 to 270.
trust includes the estate of a deceased individual. (fiducie)
trustee includes the personal representative of a deceased individual, but does not include a receiver (within the meaning assigned by subsection 266(1)). (fiduciaire)
Marginal note:Trustee’s liability
(2) Subject to subsection (3), each trustee of a trust is liable to satisfy every obligation imposed on the trust under this Part, whether the obligation was imposed during or before the period during which the trustee acts as trustee of the trust, but the satisfaction of an obligation of a trust by one of the trustees of the trust discharges the liability of all other trustees of the trust to satisfy that obligation.
Marginal note:Joint and several liability
(3) A trustee of a trust is jointly and severally liable with the trust and each of the other trustees, if any, for the payment or remittance of all amounts that become payable or remittable by the trust under this Part before or during the period during which the trustee acts as trustee of the trust except that
(a) the trustee is liable for the payment or remittance of amounts that became payable or remittable before the period only to the extent of the property and money of the trust under the control of the trustee; and
(b) the payment or remittance by the trust or the trustee of an amount in respect of the liability discharges the joint liability to the extent of that amount.
(4) The Minister may, in writing, waive the requirement for the personal representative of a deceased individual to file a return for a reporting period of the individual ending on or before the day the individual died.
Marginal note:Activities of a trustee
(5) For the purposes of this Part, where a person acts as trustee of a trust,
(a) anything done by the person in the person’s capacity as trustee of the trust is deemed to have been done by the trust and not by the person; and
(b) notwithstanding paragraph (a), where the person is not an officer of the trust, the person is deemed to supply a service to the trust of acting as a trustee of the trust and any amount to which the person is entitled for acting in that capacity that is included in computing, for the purposes of the Income Tax Act, the person’s income or, where the person is an individual, the person’s income from a business, is deemed to be consideration for that supply.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 1997, c. 10, s. 73
- Date modified: