Excise Tax Act
Marginal note:Meaning of foreign-based information or document
292 (1) For the purposes of this section, foreign-based information or document means any information or document that is available or located outside Canada and that may be relevant to the administration or enforcement of this Part, including the collection of any amount payable or remittable under this Part by any person.
Marginal note:Requirement to provide foreign-based information
(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Part, the Minister may, by notice served personally or by registered or certified mail, require a person resident in Canada or a non-resident person who carries on business in Canada to provide any foreign-based information or document.
(3) A notice referred to in subsection (2) shall set out
(a) a reasonable period of time of not less than ninety days for the provision of the information or document;
(b) a description of the information or document being sought; and
(c) the consequences under subsection (8) to the person of the failure to provide the information or document being sought within the period of time set out in the notice.
Marginal note:Review of foreign information requirement
(4) The person on whom a notice of a requirement is served under subsection (2) may, within ninety days after the service of the notice, apply to a judge for a review of the requirement.
Marginal note:Powers on review
(5) On hearing an application under subsection (4) in respect of a requirement, a judge may
(a) confirm the requirement;
(b) vary the requirement if satisfied that it is appropriate in the circumstances; or
(c) set aside the requirement if satisfied that it is unreasonable.
(6) For the purposes of subsection (5), a requirement to provide information or a document shall not be considered to be unreasonable because the information or document is under the control of or available to a non-resident person that is not controlled by the person served with the notice of the requirement under subsection (2) if that person is related to the non-resident person.
Marginal note:Time period not to count
(7) The period of time between the day on which an application for the review of a requirement is made under subsection (4) and the day on which the application is finally disposed of shall not be counted in the computation of
(a) the period of time set out in the notice of the requirement; and
(b) the period of time within which an assessment may be made under section 296 or 297.
Marginal note:Consequence of failure
(8) If a person fails to comply substantially with a notice served under subsection (2) and if the notice is not set aside under subsection (5), any court having jurisdiction in a civil proceeding relating to the administration or enforcement of this Part shall, on motion of the Minister, prohibit the introduction by that person of any foreign-based information or document covered by that notice.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 1990, c. 45, s. 12
- 2000, c. 30, s. 87
- 2018, c. 27, s. 51
- Date modified: