Excise Tax Act
Marginal note:Compound interest on amounts not paid when required
79.03 (1) If a person fails to pay an amount to the Receiver General as and when required under this Act, the person shall pay to the Receiver General interest on the amount. The interest shall be compounded daily at the prescribed rate and computed for the period beginning on the first day after the day on which the amount was required to be paid and ending on the day on which the amount is paid.
Marginal note:Payment of interest that is compounded
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), interest that is compounded on a particular day on an unpaid amount of a person is deemed to be required to be paid by the person to the Receiver General at the end of the particular day, and, if the person has not paid the interest so computed by the end of the day after the particular day, the interest shall be added to the unpaid amount at the end of the particular day.
Marginal note:Period where interest not payable
(3) Despite any other provision of this Act, if the Minister notifies a person that the person is required to pay a specified amount under this Act and the person pays the specified amount in full before the end of the period that the Minister specifies with the notice, interest is not payable on the specified amount for the period.
Marginal note:Interest amounts of $25 or less
(4) If, at any time, a person pays an amount not less than the total of all amounts, other than interest, owing at that time to Her Majesty in right of Canada under this Act for a fiscal month of the person and the total amount of interest payable by the person under this Act for that month is not more than $25.00, the Minister may cancel the interest.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 2003, c. 15, s. 100
- Date modified: