Excise Tax Act
Marginal note:Waiver or cancellation of interest or penalty
88 (1) The Minister may, on or before the day that is ten calendar years after the end of a reporting period of a person, waive or cancel any amount otherwise payable to the Receiver General under this Act that is interest or a penalty on an amount that is required to be paid by the person under this Act in respect of the reporting period.
Marginal note:Interest where amounts cancelled
(2) If a person has paid an amount of interest or penalty and the Minister cancels that amount under subsection (1), the Minister shall pay interest on the amount paid by the person beginning on the day that is 30 days after the day on which the Minister received a request in a manner satisfactory to the Minister to apply that subsection and ending on the day on which the amount is refunded or applied against an amount owed by the person to Her Majesty in right of Canada.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- R.S., 1985, c. E-15, s. 88
- R.S., 1985, c. 7 (2nd Supp.), s. 41
- 2001, c. 15, s. 3
- 2003, c. 15, s. 109
- 2006, c. 4, s. 134
- Date modified: