Income Tax Act
Marginal note:Cooperative not private corporation
136 (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, a cooperative corporation that would, but for this section, be a private corporation is deemed not to be a private corporation except for the purposes of sections 15.1, 125, 125.1, 127, 127.1, 152 and 157, the definition mark-to-market property in subsection 142.2(1) and the definition small business corporation in subsection 248(1) as it applies for the purpose of paragraph 39(1)(c).
Definition of cooperative corporation
(2) In this section, cooperative corporation means a corporation that was incorporated by or under a law of Canada or a province providing for the establishment of the corporation or respecting the establishment of cooperative corporations for the purpose of marketing (including processing incident to or connected therewith) natural products belonging to or acquired from its members or customers, of purchasing supplies, equipment or household necessaries for or to be sold to its members or customers or of performing services for its members or customers, if
(a) the statute by or under which it was incorporated, its charter, articles of association or by-laws or its contracts with its members or its members and customers held out the prospect that payments would be made to them in proportion to patronage;
(b) none of its members (except other cooperative corporations) have more than one vote in the conduct of the affairs of the corporation; and
(c) at least 90% of its members are individuals, other cooperative corporations, or corporations or partnerships that carry on the business of farming, and at least 90% of its shares, if any, are held by those persons or partnerships.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.), s. 136
- 1994, c. 7, Sch. II, s. 112
- 1998, c. 19, s. 161
- Date modified: