Marginal note:Privileged communication
16.1 (1) A communication that meets the following conditions is privileged in the same way as a communication that is subject to solicitor-client privilege or, in civil law, to professional secrecy of advocates and notaries and no person shall be required to disclose, or give testimony on, the communication in a civil, criminal or administrative action or proceeding:
(a) it is between a patent agent and their client;
(b) it is intended to be confidential; and
(c) it is made for the purpose of seeking or giving advice with respect to any matter relating to the protection of an invention.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the client expressly or implicitly waives the privilege.
(3) Exceptions to solicitor-client privilege or, in civil law, to professional secrecy of advocates and notaries apply to a communication that meets the conditions set out in paragraphs (1)(a) to (c).
Marginal note:Patent agents — country other than Canada
(4) A communication between an individual who is authorized to act as the equivalent of a patent agent under the law of a country other than Canada and that individual’s client that is privileged under the law of that other country and that would be privileged under subsection (1) had it been made between a patent agent and their client is deemed to be a communication that meets the conditions set out in paragraphs (1)(a) to (c).
Marginal note:Individual acting on behalf of patent agent or client
(5) For the purposes of this section, a patent agent or an individual who is authorized to act as the equivalent of a patent agent under the law of a country other than Canada includes an individual acting on their behalf and a client includes an individual acting on the client’s behalf.
(6) This section applies to communications that are made before the day on which this section comes into force if they are still confidential on that day and to communications that are made after that day. However, this section does not apply in respect of an action or proceeding commenced before that day.
- 2015, c. 36, s. 54
- 2018, c. 27, s. 252
- Date modified: