Marginal note:Non-resident applicants
29 (1) An applicant for a patent who does not appear to reside or carry on business at a specified address in Canada shall, on the filing date of the application, appoint as a representative a person or firm residing or carrying on business at a specified address in Canada.
Marginal note:Nominee deemed representative
(2) Subject to this section, a nominee of an applicant shall be deemed to be the representative for all purposes of this Act, including the service of any proceedings taken under it, of the applicant and of any patentee of a patent issued on his application who does not appear to reside or carry on business at a specified address in Canada, and shall be recorded as such by the Commissioner.
Marginal note:New representatives
(3) An applicant for a patent or a patentee
(a) may, by giving notice to the Commissioner, appoint a new representative in place of the latest recorded representative, or may give notice to the Commissioner of a change in the address of the latest recorded representative; and
(b) shall so appoint a new representative or supply a new and correct address of the latest recorded representative on receipt of a request of the Commissioner stating that the latest recorded representative has died or that a letter addressed to the latest recorded representative at the latest recorded address and sent by ordinary mail has been returned undelivered.
Marginal note:Where no new appointment is made or no new address supplied
(4) Where the Commissioner makes a request under paragraph (3)(b) and no new appointment is made or no new and correct address is supplied by the applicant or patentee within three months, the Federal Court or the Commissioner may dispose of any proceedings under this Act without requiring service on the applicant or patentee of any process in the proceedings.
Marginal note:When fee payable
(5) No fee is payable on the appointment of a new representative or the supply of a new and correct address, unless that appointment or supply follows a request by the Commissioner under subsection (3), in which case the prescribed fee is payable.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-4, s. 29
- 1993, c. 15, s. 34
- Date modified: