Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act
Marginal note:Appointment of members
45.19 (1) The Management Advisory Board is to consist of not more than 13 members to be appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Minister.
(2) Before making a recommendation to the Governor in Council with respect to an appointment, the Minister may consult with any government with which the Minister has entered into an arrangement under subsection 20(1).
Marginal note:Factors to be considered
(2.1) When recommending members, the Minister shall consider the importance of having a Management Advisory Board that is representative of the diversity of Canadian society and that is comprised of members who have the experience and the capacity required to carry out the Board’s mandate.
(3) The members are to be appointed to hold office on a part-time basis during pleasure for a renewable term of not more than four years that will ensure, as far as possible, the expiry in any one year of the terms of office of not more than one half of the members.
Marginal note:Chairperson and Vice-chairperson
(4) The Governor in Council shall designate, from among the members of the Management Advisory Board, one person to be the Chairperson and another person to be the Vice-chairperson.
Marginal note:Absence of Chairperson
(5) If the Chairperson is absent or unable to act or if the office of Chairperson is vacant, the Vice-chairperson is to act as Chairperson, but he or she is not entitled to act for a period of more than 90 days without the Governor in Council’s approval.
Marginal note:Absence of Chairperson and Vice-chairperson
(6) If the Chairperson and the Vice-chairperson are absent or unable to act or if those offices are vacant, the Minister may designate a member of the Management Advisory Board to act as Chairperson, but no member so designated is entitled to act for a period of more than 90 days without the Governor in Council’s approval.
Marginal note:Security clearance
(7) Every member of the Management Advisory Board shall obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance from the Government of Canada.
(8) A person is not eligible to be appointed or to continue as a member of the Management Advisory Board if the person
(a) is a member or other person appointed or employed under the authority of Part I;
(b) is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
(c) is a public office holder as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Conflict of Interest Act, unless the person is a public office holder only by virtue of their appointment as a member of the Management Advisory Board;
(d) is employed on a full-time basis in the federal public administration or by a provincial or municipal authority; or
(e) is a member of the Senate, the House of Commons, the legislature of a province or a municipal council or is on the staff of such a member.
(9) The members of the Management Advisory Board are to be paid the remuneration that is fixed by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Travel and living expenses
(10) The members of the Management Advisory Board are entitled to be reimbursed, in accordance with Treasury Board directives, for the travel and living expenses incurred in connection with their work for the Board while absent from their ordinary place of residence.
Marginal note:Federal public administration
(11) The members of the Management Advisory Board are deemed to be employed in the federal public administration for the purposes of the Government Employees Compensation Act and any regulations made under section 9 of the Aeronautics Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. 8 (2nd Supp.), s. 16
- 1993, c. 34, s. 111(F)
- 2013, c. 18, s. 33
- 2019, c. 29, s. 222
- Date modified: