Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act
Marginal note:Appointment and designation
7 (1) The Commissioner may
(a) appoint members of the Force other than officers;
(b) by way of promotion appoint a member other than an officer to a higher rank or level for which there is a vacancy in the establishment of the Force;
(c) where the Commissioner is requested by any department of the Government of Canada or considers it necessary or in the public interest, appoint for a period not exceeding twelve months at any one time special constables supernumerary to the strength of the Force for the purpose of maintaining law and order; and
(d) designate any member, any supernumerary special constable appointed under this subsection or any temporary employee employed under subsection 10(2) as a peace officer.
Marginal note:Ranks and levels
(2) The ranks and levels of members other than officers and the maximum numbers of persons that may be appointed to each rank and level shall be as prescribed by the Treasury Board.
Marginal note:Revocation of appointment
(3) The Commissioner may at any time revoke the appointment of any supernumerary special constable appointed under subsection (1).
(4) The Commissioner may issue
(a) a certificate to any member stating that the person to whom it is issued is a member of the Force and, if that person is also a peace officer, that the person is such an officer; and
(b) a certificate to any other person appointed or employed under the authority of this Act stating that the person to whom it is issued is a peace officer, if that person has been designated as such under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Evidence of appointment or designation
(5) Any document purporting to be a certificate referred to in subsection (4) is evidence in all courts and in all proceedings of the facts stated therein.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-10, s. 7
- R.S., 1985, c. 8 (2nd Supp.), s. 4, c. 1 (4th Supp.), s. 45(F)
- Date modified: