Canada Student Loans Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. S-23)
- HTMLFull Document: Canada Student Loans Act (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Canada Student Loans Act [106 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Canada Student Loans Act [327 KB]
Act current to 2023-05-17 and last amended on 2023-04-01. Previous Versions
Marginal note:Requirement to provide information or documents
19.3 (1) For the purpose of verifying compliance or preventing non-compliance with this Act, the Minister may, by notice served personally or by confirmed delivery service, require any person who has received a guaranteed student loan to provide to the Minister, within the time and in the manner that are stipulated in the notice, any information or document that is in their possession or to which they could reasonably be expected to have access.
Marginal note:Copies as evidence
(2) When a document is provided in accordance with subsection (1), the Minister may make, or cause to be made, one or more certified copies of it and any such copy is evidence of the nature and content of the original document and has the same probative force as the original document would have if it were proven in the ordinary way.
- 2009, c. 2, s. 367
Marginal note:Authority to enter into arrangements
20 The Minister may
(a) enter into arrangements with any department, board or agency of the Government of Canada or any other public or private organization or agency to assist the Minister in carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Act; and
(b) with the approval of the Governor in Council, enter into arrangements with the government of any province to facilitate the administration or enforcement of this Act.
- R.S., c. S-17, s. 16
Marginal note:Payment out of C.R.F.
21 Any amount payable by the Minister under this Act may be paid by the Minister out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
- R.S., c. S-17, s. 17
Marginal note:Report to Parliament
22 The Minister shall each year prepare a report with respect to the administration of this Act during the loan year that ended in the immediately preceding year, and shall cause the report to be laid before Parliament on any of the first fifteen days that either House of Parliament is sitting after the report is completed.
- R.S., c. S-17, s. 18
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 49, s. 10
Marginal note:Interest-free period — loan made on or after August 1, 1993
22.1 (1) If a borrower ceased to be a full-time student at any time during the six months before the day on which section 323 of the Budget Implementation Act, 2019, No. 1 comes into force, no interest is payable by them on a guaranteed student loan referred to in subsection 4(2), as it read on November 1, 2019, for the period that begins on that day and ends on the last day of the sixth month after the month in which the borrower ceased to be a full-time student.
Marginal note:Interest-free period — loan consolidated after August 1, 1993
(2) If a borrower referred to in subsection 4(4), as it read on November 1, 2019, ceased to be a full-time student at any time during the six months before the day on which section 323 of the Budget Implementation Act, 2019, No. 1 comes into force, no interest is payable by them on a guaranteed student loan referred to in that subsection for the period that begins on that day and ends on the last day of the sixth month after the month in which the borrower ceased to be a full-time student.
23 This Act is repealed on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.
- 1994, c. 28, s. 27
- Date modified: