Nunavut Mining Regulations
Marginal note:Report on work to obtain remission
15 (1) A permittee who has done work in respect of a zone for which they have a prospecting permit may request remission of the charges the permittee has paid or is obligated to pay for that permit under section 14 by submitting a report on the work to the Mining Recorder no later than 60 days after the expiry of the permit.
Marginal note:Preparation of report
(2) The report must be prepared in accordance with Part 1 of Schedule 2, but if the report deals only with excavation, sampling or the examination of outcrops and surficial deposits — or any combination of them — and the cost of work is less than $20,000, the report may be a simplified report prepared in accordance with Part 2 of Schedule 2.
Marginal note:Signature of report
(3) The report must be prepared and signed
(a) in the case of a simplified report, by the individual who performed or supervised the work; or
(b) in all other cases, by a professional geoscientist or a professional engineer as those terms are defined in subsection 1(1) of the Engineers and Geoscientists Act, S.Nu. 2008, c. 2.
Marginal note:Associated documents
(4) The following must be submitted with the report:
(a) a statement of work in the prescribed form;
(b) a table setting out the cost of work by type of work, together with, for each type of work, details of the costs sufficient to enable evaluation of the report in accordance with subsection (8); and
(c) a table setting out the cost of work that is attributable to each permit.
Marginal note:Details of costs
(5) In respect of the details of the costs,
(a) if a permittee uses their own equipment to perform work, the cost claimed in relation to that equipment must not be more than the cost of leasing similar equipment for the period that the equipment was used in performing the work; and
(b) if a permittee personally performs work, the cost claimed in relation to that work must not be more than an amount equal to the cost of engaging another person to do that work.
Marginal note:Record keeping
(6) The permittee must keep all supporting documents used to justify the cost of work and make them available on request by the Mining Recorder until the permittee has received a confirmation under subsection (11).
Marginal note:Work reported once
(7) Work reported in one report must not be reported in any other report.
Marginal note:Evaluation of report
(8) The Mining Recorder must evaluate the report to determine its compliance with Schedule 2 and the cost of work to be entered in a written confirmation of the cost of work under subsection (11).
Marginal note:Supporting documents
(9) If the Mining Recorder requests supporting documents that justify the cost of work reported, the Mining Recorder must notify the permittee in writing and must specify the cost of work for which such documents are requested.
Marginal note:Lack of justification
(10) If the permittee does not, within four months after the day the notification is sent, provide the supporting documents requested, the cost of work to which they relate must be considered to be unjustified.
Marginal note:Justified cost of work and allocation
(11) After completing the evaluation of a report, the Mining Recorder must provide to the permittee a written confirmation of the cost of work that has been justified in the report and, if a request for allocation of the cost has been made under subsection 17(5), of the amounts allocated in accordance with the request.
- Date modified: