Nunavut Mining Regulations
Marginal note:Application for reduced-area claim
52 (1) The holder of a recorded claim (the original claim) may make an application to the Mining Recorder to record, within the area of the original claim, a reduced-area claim if
(a) the cost of work set out in a certificate of work with respect to the original claim is at least $10 per full or partial hectare; and
(b) the reduced-area claim has been staked in accordance with sections 23 to 30, using reduced-area tags issued under subsection 24(2).
Marginal note:Presentation of application
(2) The application must be made in the prescribed form no later than 60 days after the staking of the reduced-area claim, and must be accompanied by the applicable fee set out in Schedule 1 and the map or sketch referred to in subsection 33(3).
Marginal note:Recording of reduced-area claim
(3) If the requirements set out in this section are met, the Mining Recorder must record the reduced-area claim, effective on the next anniversary date of the recording of the original claim.
Marginal note:Effect of recording
(4) When the recording of a reduced-area claim takes effect,
(a) the recording date for it is considered to be the recording date of the original claim;
(b) the information recorded by the Mining Recorder, including the requests and the documents filed with respect to the original claim, are considered to have been recorded or presented with respect to the reduced-area claim; and
(c) the recording of the original claim is cancelled.
Marginal note:Reopening of lands for prospecting and staking
(5) Subject to subsection 56(3), the lands in the original claim that are not within the reduced-area claim are open for prospecting and staking at noon on the day following the first business day after the day on which the recording of the original claim was cancelled.
(6) On the day the recording of the reduced-area claim takes effect — or if that day is not a business day, on the first business day that follows — the Mining Recorder must post a notice in the Mining Recorder’s office specifying when the lands in the original claim that are not within the reduced-area claim are open for prospecting and staking, and setting out the boundaries of the reduced-area claim.
- Date modified: