Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Nunavut Mining Regulations

Version of section 60 from 2021-01-30 to 2024-06-19:

Marginal note:Application for lease

  •  (1) A holder of a recorded claim who wants to obtain a lease of the claim must make an application to the Mining Recorder.

  • Marginal note:Making application

    (2) The application must be made at least one year before the end of the duration of the recorded claim referred to in section 15 and must be accompanied by the applicable fee set out in Schedule 1.

  • Marginal note:Issuance of lease

    (3) If the following requirements are met, the Minister must issue the lease to the claim holder for a term of 21 years:

    • (a) before the day on which the application to obtain the lease is made, a certificate of work has been issued in respect of the claim that allocates to the claim a cost of work of at least $1,260 per unit, of which the total of the costs of the plan of survey, of the construction of any roads, airstrips and docks and of environmental baseline studies does not exceed $250 per unit; and

    • (b) before the end of the duration of the recorded claim,

      • (i) a plan of survey of the claim has been recorded under section 58, and

      • (ii) the rent for the first year of the lease has been paid to the Mining Recorder.

  • Marginal note:Work requirements and charges not applicable

    (4) In respect of any year for which the recorded claim is leased, the work requirements set out in subsection 39(1) and the charges referred to in subsection 40(1) do not apply.

  • SOR/2020-209, s. 17

Date modified: