Nunavut Mining Regulations
Marginal note:Request for renewal of lease
62 (1) To obtain renewal of a lease, the lessee must, at least six months before the end of the existing lease, submit to the Mining Recorder a written request for renewal accompanied by the applicable fee set out in Schedule 1.
Marginal note:Reduction in area of leased claim
(2) At the time of renewal, the Mining Recorder must reduce the area specified in the lease if, at least 90 days before the end of the existing lease,
(a) the lessee requests it and
(i) if the lease covers only one recorded claim, that claim has been reduced in area in accordance with section 52, or
(ii) otherwise, one or more recorded claims have been removed from the lease; and
(b) an official plan of survey of the reduced area has been prepared in accordance with Canada Lands Surveys Act and has been submitted to the Mining Recorder for recording.
Marginal note:Cancellation of recording of claim
(3) The recording of a claim that has been removed from a lease under subparagraph (2)(a)(ii) is cancelled at the time that the renewal of the lease takes effect.
Marginal note:Issuance of renewal
(4) If, before the existing lease ends, the lessee pays the rent for the first year of the renewal, the Minister must issue the renewal for a term of 21 years.
Marginal note:Waiver of payment of rent on renewal — COVID-19
(5) Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Minister must waive the payment of rent for the first year of a renewal referred to in subsection (4), if the renewal is to be issued during the year beginning on March 13, 2020 and the Supervising Mining Recorder receives a written request for a waiver from the lessee before the existing lease ends or March 13, 2021, whichever comes first.
Marginal note:Rent paid for first year of renewal — COVID-19
(6) However, if the rent for the first year of the renewal referred to in subsection (4) has already been paid to the Mining Recorder during the year beginning on March 13, 2020, the Minister must waive the payment of rent for the second year of the renewal.
- SOR/2020-174, s. 3
- Date modified: