Nunavut Mining Regulations
Marginal note:Former Regulations apply
93 (1) Sections 12, 14 to 21, 65 and 80, subsection 83(2) and Schedule 2 of the former Regulations continue to apply in respect of prospecting permits issued under those Regulations.
(2) Despite subsection (1) and section 18 of the former Regulations, a permittee may not make an application to record a claim during the transitional period.
Marginal note:Definitions of cost of work and work
(3) The definitions cost of work and work in subsection 1(1) of these Regulations apply, in respect of prospecting permits issued under the former Regulations, to work done after the last day of the transitional period.
Marginal note:Opening of lands for prospecting
(4) Subject to subsection (6) and section 14 of these Regulations, the lands that were covered by a prospecting permit that expires or is cancelled after the last day of the transitional period are open for prospecting and the units containing those lands are available for recording as a claim beginning at noon on the day following the first business day after the day on which the permit expired or was cancelled.
Marginal note:Prohibition against prospecting during review by Minister
(5) Beginning on the day on which a request for review under section 84 with respect to lands that were covered by the prospecting permit in question is received by the Minister and ending on the second business day after the day on which the Minister’s decision is sent, those lands are not open for prospecting and the units containing those lands are not available for recording as a claim.
Marginal note:Delay in opening lands for environmental damage
(6) If the Minister has reasonable grounds to believe that there is unremedied environmental damage to the lands referred to in subsection (4), the Minister may delay opening the lands for prospecting and making available the units containing those lands for recording as a claim.
(7) For one year after a prospecting permit expires or is cancelled, the former permittee and any person related to the former permittee are not permitted to make an application to record a claim that includes any unit that was included in the prospecting permit zone of the expired or cancelled permit or to acquire a legal or beneficial interest in respect of that claim.
- SOR/2020-209, s. 31
- Date modified: