Discretionary Services Regulations
Marginal note:Referral of dispute to Commission
14 (1) If there is a dispute between a licensee and the operator of a licensed distribution undertaking or an exempt distribution undertaking concerning the carriage or terms of carriage of programming that originates from the licensee, including the wholesale rate and the terms of any audit referred to in section 15.1 of the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations, one or both of the parties to the dispute may refer the matter to the Commission for dispute resolution.
(2) If the Commission accepts a referral of a matter for dispute resolution, the parties to the dispute shall participate in a mediation with a person who is appointed by the Commission.
Marginal note:Additional information
(3) During the dispute resolution process, the person who is appointed may require additional information from the parties.
Marginal note:Procedural requirements, rates, terms and conditions
(4) If a licensed distribution undertaking or an exempt distribution undertaking distributes the licensee’s programming service in the absence of a commercial agreement and the matter proceeds before the Commission for dispute resolution,
(a) the dispute shall be resolved in accordance with the procedural requirements established by the Commission in Broadcasting and Telecom Information Bulletin CRTC 2013-637, dated November 28, 2013 and entitled Practices and procedures for staff-assisted mediation, final offer arbitration and expedited hearings; and
(b) the rates, terms and conditions established by the Commission apply as of the day on which the programming service was first made available to the distributor in the absence of a commercial agreement.
Marginal note:Rates, terms and conditions — new programming service
(5) If the dispute relates to the rates, terms or conditions that relate to a new programming service that is being distributed in the absence of a commercial agreement and the matter proceeds before the Commission for dispute resolution, the parties will be bound by the rates, terms and conditions established by the Commission for the duration of the contractual term established by the Commission.
Marginal note:Rates, terms and conditions — agreement
(6) Despite subsections (4) and (5), the parties may reach an agreement that sets out rates, terms or conditions that differ from those established by the Commission.
- Date modified: