Canadian Aviation Regulations
700.16 (1) Subject to subsections (5) and (7), no air operator shall assign a flight crew member for flight duty time, and no flight crew member shall accept such an assignment, if the flight crew member’s flight duty time will, as a result, exceed 14 consecutive hours in any 24 consecutive hours. Where the flight is conducted under Subpart 4 or 5 using an aircraft other than a helicopter, flight duty time shall include 15 minutes for post-flight duties.
(2) Where the flight is conducted under Subpart 4 or 5 using an aircraft other than a helicopter or a DeHavilland DHC-6 aircraft pursuant to the Commercial Air Service Standards, a flight crew member shall receive at least 24 consecutive hours free from flight duty following 3 consecutive flight duty time assignments that exceed 12 consecutive hours unless the flight crew member has received at least 24 consecutive hours free from flight duty between each flight duty time assignment.
(3) Following a flight duty time assignment, an air operator shall provide a flight crew member with the minimum rest period and any additional rest period required by this Part.
(4) A flight crew member shall use a rest period provided pursuant to subsection (3) and section 700.19 to obtain the necessary rest and shall be adequately rested prior to reporting for flight duty.
(5) Where flight duty time includes a rest period, flight duty time may be extended beyond the maximum flight duty time referred to in subsection (1) by one-half the length of the rest period referred to in paragraph (b), to a maximum of 3 hours, if
(a) the air operator provides the flight crew member with advance notice of the extension of flight duty time;
(b) the air operator provides the flight crew member with a rest period of at least 4 consecutive hours in suitable accommodation; and
(c) the flight crew member’s rest is not interrupted by the air operator during the rest period.
(6) The minimum rest period following flight duty time referred to in subsection (5) and prior to the next flight duty time shall be increased by an amount at least equal to the extension to the flight duty time.
(7) An air operator may assign a flight crew member for flight duty time, and a flight crew member may accept such an assignment, where the flight crew member’s flight duty time will, as a result, exceed the flight duty time referred to in subsection (1) if
(a) the increase in flight duty time is authorized in the air operator certificate; and
(b) the air operator and the flight crew member comply with the Commercial Air Service Standards.
- Date modified: